Liver Failure Treatment at CMC Dubai
Liver failure is a condition in which the liver is unable to function properly and perform its normal duties due to severe damage or disease. Liver failure can be acute (sudden onset) or chronic (develops over time). This is a serious conditions and meeting an expert liver specialist is crucial should you be suffering from liver failure symptoms.
Symptoms of liver failure may include:
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes)
- Abdominal pain and swelling
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fatigue and weakness
- Mental confusion or disorientation
- Swelling in the legs and feet
- Easy bruising and bleeding
- Dark urine and pale stools
Causes of liver failure can include:
- Viral hepatitis (e.g. hepatitis B, C, or D)
- Alcohol abuse or prolonged exposure to toxins
- Autoimmune disorders
- Inherited metabolic disorders
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
- Liver cancer
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) overdose
Treatment for liver failure depends on the underlying cause and severity of the condition. In some cases, hospitalization may be necessary for close monitoring and supportive care. Treatment options may include:
- Medications: Medications may be prescribed to manage symptoms and complications, such as reducing swelling or preventing infections.
- Dietary changes: A healthy diet that is low in sodium and high in protein may be recommended to help manage symptoms.
- Liver transplant: In cases of severe liver failure, a liver transplant may be necessary to replace the damaged liver with a healthy liver from a donor.
It is important to seek medical attention if you are experiencing symptoms of liver failure, as prompt diagnosis and treatment can help improve outcomes. Your healthcare provider can help determine the underlying cause of your symptoms and develop a treatment plan that is appropriate for your specific needs.