Cardiac MRI at CMC Dubai
Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is a non-invasive imaging technique that provides detailed images of the heart and its structures. It is commonly used for diagnosis and treatment planning in various cardiac conditions. Here is a general overview of how cardiac MRI can contribute to diagnosis and treatment:
- Coronary artery disease: Cardiac MRI can help assess blood flow to the heart muscle, identify any blockages or narrowing in the coronary arteries, and evaluate the extent of myocardial damage.
- Cardiomyopathies: Cardiac MRI can detect and characterize different types of cardiomyopathies, such as dilated cardiomyopathy, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and restrictive cardiomyopathy. It provides information about ventricular size and function, tissue composition, and fibrosis.
- Valvular heart disease: Cardiac MRI can evaluate the structure and function of heart valves, assess the severity of valve regurgitation or stenosis, and aid in surgical planning.
- Congenital heart disease: Cardiac MRI is useful in assessing the anatomy and function of the heart in patients with congenital heart defects. It provides detailed images of cardiac chambers, valves, and blood flow patterns.
- Surgical planning: Cardiac MRI helps in determining the need for and planning surgical interventions, such as coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), valve repair or replacement, and congenital heart defect repairs. It provides accurate anatomical information and aids in pre-operative decision-making.
- Monitoring treatment response: Cardiac MRI can be used to monitor the effectiveness of treatments over time, such as assessing changes in ventricular function, scar tissue formation, or improvement in blood flow after revascularization procedures.
- Risk stratification: Cardiac MRI can help stratify patients into different risk categories based on the extent of myocardial damage, fibrosis, or wall motion abnormalities. This information can guide treatment decisions and determine the need for more aggressive interventions.
- Research and clinical trials: Cardiac MRI plays a significant role in research studies and clinical trials, providing valuable data on treatment outcomes, novel therapies, and understanding the underlying mechanisms of various cardiac conditions.
It’s important to note that the specific use of cardiac MRI in diagnosis and treatment will depend on the individual patient and their specific cardiac condition.